This is a combination of a film festival and awards ceremony designed to showcase the best in original online video and judges this year include director Edgar Wright, actor James Franco and Radiohead bassist Colin Greenwood.
Along with YouTube, the site has proved a valuable outlet for filmmakers of all ages and levels from around the world.
Director of the Vimeo Festival + Awards, Jeremy Boxer recently said:
“The aim of the Vimeo Festival + Awards is to become the gold standard for creative online video. We designed the program to focus on discovering the best new talent and to give that talent a platform that will catapult their careers to the next level. We are proud to reveal our new panel of esteemed judges.”
Submissions are not limited to works that have appeared on Vimeo but the original content must have either premiered online or have been created between July 31, 2010 and February 20th 2012.
Vimeo have said that winners in each category will get a $5,000 grant to make a new film.
The overall winner gets an additional $25,000 grant.
Complete rules and restrictions are available at Vimeo’s award site, so be sure to check them out here.
If you haven’t entered already, submissions close on February 20th, 2012.
Here are last year’s awards:
Here are the links to last years:
- Narrative: “Thrush” by Gabriel Bisset-Smith
- Documentary: “Last Minutes with ODEN” by Phos Pictures
- Music Video: “Liars ‘Scissor’” by Andy Bruntel
- Animation: “Between Bears” by Eran Hilleli
- Original Series: “Break-ups The Series” by Ted Tremper
- Experimental: “oops” by Chris Beckman
- Motion Graphics: “TRIANGLE” by Onur Senturk
- Captured: “Fluid Sculpture” by Charlie Bucket
- Remix: “BREAKDOWN the video” by Kasumi
This year, it has recruited the following people as judges in these different categories (some of which are new):
ACTION SPORTS (New)