One of the classic comedies produced by Ealing Studios, The Ladykillers (1955) sees a criminal mastermind (Alec Guinness) and his gang rent a London flat from a sweet old lady (Katie Johnson) only to find that things don’t go as planned.
It features an excellent supporting cast that includes Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom and Danny Green, although it is the two leads of Guinness and Johnson who really shine with pitch perfect performances.
There is a restrained classiness to Alexander Mackendrick‘s direction whilst William Rose‘s screenplay has a marvellous blend of wit and economy.
Look out too for the effective use of London locations and the sparring between Lom and Sellars, which anticipates their roles in the Pink Panther films a decade later.
The Blu-ray comes with the following extras:
- Introduction by Terry Gilliam
- Commentary with Phillip Kemp
- Forever Ealing: Documentary (49 mins)
- Interview with Allan Scott (10 mins)
- Interview with Ronald Harwood (7 mins)
- Interview with Terence Davies New (14 mins)
- Cleaning Up The Ladykillers: featurette
- Booklet: Analysis by film critic David Parkinson
The technical specs are:
- Cert: PG
- Region B
- Feature Running time: 91 mins approx
- Blu-ray Feature
- Aspect ratio: 16:9 PB – 1.33:1 (4×3)
- Colour PAL
- Feature Audio: DTS HD Master 2.0 (Mono)
- English Language
- Video: 24p 1080
- Disc Type: BD50
- Cat no: OPTBD0602
- RRP: £24.99
The Ladykillers is out on Blu-ray now from Optimum Home Entertainment as part of The Studio Canal Collection
> Buy The Ladykillers on Blu-ray from Amazon UK
> The Ladykillers at the IMDb