* A previously unpublished interview from the FILMdetail archives *
Back in 2004, I spoke with writer-director Frank Darabont about the 10th anniversary of The Shawshank Redemption (1994).
Whilst not an initial success, it gradually became one of the most beloved films of all time, consistently ranking at No. 1 on the Internet Movie Database.
Listen to the interview below, which was recorded in September 2014:
[soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/169632382″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”450″ iframe=”true” /]
> Buy the film on Blu-ray or DVD at Amazon UK
> Find out more about The Shawshank Redemption at Wikipedia
> Frank Darabont at the IMDb
> WSJ article on how The Shawshank Redemption keeps making money
You may have noticed that there has been a reduction in posts over the last couple of years on this website.
The fact of the matter is that since the summer of 2012 I have had Grade 3 brain cancer and have been getting treatment for it ever since.
This has meant an unfortunate decline in FILMdetail activity (although I still post to Twitter).
Getting a cancer is bad (obviously) but staying alive has made me reassess things somewhat.
That’s why this special post is to inform you that I’m doing a sponsored walk on Sunday 12th October in Windsor (yes, the one where the Queen lives most of the time).
It is for The Brain Tumour Charity, which is a UK charity dedicated to research and more understanding of the illness.
If you would like to donate just visit my JustGiving page: http://www.justgiving.com/AmbroseHeron
Any donation goes direct to the charity and it is a fairly straightforward process.
If you want to see the early stages of the cancer website I’m building, you can find it at whencellsgowrong.com
Life for me online is now divided between films and health, but I hope that one day I’ll be able to go back to focus on the films.
> Help me raise funds for The Brain Tumour Charity via JustGiving
> Find out more about Brain Tumours at Cancer Research UK
DVD & BLU-RAY PICKS
- The Honourable Woman (BBC/2entertain) / DVD
- Rain Man (20th Century Fox Home Ent.) / Remastered Blu-ray
- Richard III (Network) / Blu-ray / Normal
- Ghostbusters (Sony Pictures Home Ent.) Blu-ray / 4K + UltraViolet Copy – Double Play
- Frank (Curzon Film World) Blu-ray / Normal
- Eyes Without a Face (BFI) DVD with Blu-ray – Double Play
- A Farewell to Arms (BFI) Blu-ray with DVD – Double Play
- Goldfinger (MGM Home Entertainment) Blu-ray / 50th Anniversary Steelbook Edition
- The Cabinet of Dr Caligari (Eureka) DVD with Blu-ray – Double Play
- The Last Metro (Artificial Eye) Blu-ray / Normal
- Love On the Run (Artificial Eye) Blu-ray / Normal
- Lilting (Artificial Eye) Blu-ray / Normal
> DVD & Blu-ray Picks for August 2014
> The Best DVD and Blu-rays of 2013