Although there’s grumbling every year that films are getting worse, 2012 did seem to be a lean year for cinema releases and the wider industry is still struggling to readjust from the financial and technological shocks of the last four years.
However, some notable events included:
- The Sundance Film Festival coming to London for the first time.
- The continuing digital revolution in how films are shot and seen.
- The enormous financial success of the Avengers movie (for some reason called Avengers Assemble in the UK) and certain animated films.
- Prometheus not living up to the Comic-Con fuelled hype of the previous summer.
- The tragic shooting incident that overshadowed the release of The Dark Knight Rises.
- Vertigo supplanting Citizen Kane in Sight and Sound’s famous poll.
- The unexpected deaths of Nora Ephron, Tony Scott and Harris Savides.
- The Bond franchise returning with Skyfall dominating the Autumn box office and pleasing the critics.
- The upcoming awards season which saw films such as Argo, Silver Linings Playbook and Lincoln jostling for early competition.
Among the DVD and Blu-ray releases that came out were:
- The Story of Film
- Chimes at Midnight
- A David Lynch Blu-ray boxset
- The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (and other notable re-releases from StudioCanal)
- Lawrence of Arabia
- Shut Up and Play the Hits
- E.T. The Extra Terrestrial
If there is anything you want to ask about, just leave a comment below or get in touch.