Here are our DVD picks for the week beginning Monday 21st July 2008:
- La Vie de Jesus (Eureka): Director Bruno Dumont’s debut film from 1997 about two teenage lovers, set in a Flemish town – available on UK DVD for the first time.
- The Mummy  Special Edition (Universal): Re-release of the 1932 monster classic with Boris Karloff.
- The Office – Season 3 (Universal): The third season of the surprisingly good US version of the series with Steve Carrell in the Ricky Gervais role.
- The Orphanage (Optimum): Superb Spanish ghost story set in an orphanage, directed by Juan Antonio Bayona and produced by Guillermo Del Toro.
- The Patrice Leconte Collection (Second Sight): Box set featuring the films of the noted French director including: The Hairdresser’s Husband, Ridicule, Monsieur Hire, Le Parfum D’yvonne And Tango.
Also out are the following titles:
- 10,000 B.C. (Warner Bros): Prehistoric epic from director Roland Emmerich.
- All the Boys Love Mandy Lane (Optimum): US horror about an unconventional teenage girl.
- Blue Water White Death (Revolver): 1971 documentary about a group of people searching for a Great White shark.
- Doctor Who: The Brain of Morbius (2Entertain): Tom Baker and Elisabeth Sladen star in this Doctor Who re-release from 1976.
- Drillbit Taylor (Paramount): Comedy with Owen Wilson as a retired soldier helping out kids getting bullied in high school.
- Fatal Contact (Cine Asia): Martial arts action film about a Kung Fu Oympian (Jacky Wu Jing) in the shadowy world of underground boxing.
- First Sunday (Sony): Comedy with Ice Cube and Tracy Morgan as bumbling petty criminals.
- Numb (Scanbox): A straight to DVD drama starring Matthew Perry as a writer suffering from depersonalization disorder.
- Redacted (Optimum):Brian De Palma’s drama about US troops committing rape and murder in Iraq.
- Robbery (Optimum): A crime drama inspired by the great train robbery of 1963 directed by Peter Yates and starring Stanley Baker, Frank Finlay, Barry Foster and William Marlowe.
- The Mechanik (DNC Entertainment): Dolph Lungdren stars in a revenge tale involving a Russian paratrooper.
- The Mummy  (Universal): The 1999 action remake with Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz is re-released on Blu-ray.
- The Mummy Returns (Universal): The 2001 sequel – re-released on Blu-ray also.
- WTC View (Peccadillo Pictures): Based on the stage play by Brian Sloan, exploring life in New York after 9/11 through the struggles of one man.
- Zombies (Momentum): J.S. Cardone directs this tale of a group of young children zombies who come back from the dead looking for revenge, after their murder a century ago.
If you have any questions about this week’s DVD releases or any upcoming titles then just email me
(To buy any of the DVDs above just click on the title and you will be redirected to our Amazon affiliate)